Sunday, April 21, 2013

Unlocking barriers and opening doors...


Language is a key that unlocks barriers...
such simple, yet powerful things...
words...

I first became intrigued with Italy when I learned that my parents lived here for a short time when my dad was in the airforce...and my mother became pregnant with me.

Of all the travels my father enjoyed, the musical way he said "Italy" awakened my curiosity.

Leslie Suzanne in Italy visiting that piece of her heart that Italy keeps.

I first came to Europe at ages 21 and 23, but didn't make it to Italy until my kids were grown.  My excuse to return to this part of the world  (I had missed so much) was to bring my daughter here for her high school graduation present.

My daughter Kelly whose great smile show the joy of being in Italy.

After my daughter visited Europe, she found the words that explained perfectly both her feelings and mine.

  She said:
 "It's like a part of our heart is left over in Europe and we have to go back and visit it."

So, here I am again, visiting that 'piece of my heart' that is here in Italy.

In preparation for my first visit in 2006, I began studying Italy and her language.  Here I am on my fourth visit.  This time for a 3 month language immersion...because...

Language is a key that unlocks barriers...
such simple, yet powerful things...
words...

Portovenere with my first small group, finding the people to be a treasure.

Traveling here has been such an eye-opening, mind-broadening, and life-enriching experience, that I wanted to share it with my friends...and so my daughter and I brought a small group here last Spring.

Splendissimo!  It was spendid!

Portovenere with my first small group.

I enjoyed it so much that I must do it again.
  But this next time I want to bring people to experience the real Italy 
and...
Italy's best treasure... The Italian people.

Patrizio at Restaurant Il Sasso in Florence

Let me introduce you to my new, wonderful, warm and beautiful Italian friends...

Cristina. A beautiful, hard-working, horse-loving, person whose passion is to bring horses and people together...

Cristina working her magnificent horse, Wolcan.

Silvia. An elegant, stylish, creative and very intelligent young woman.  She is warm and witty and one of her jobs is marketing here at Punta Ala Cavalli.  She is one of the most generous-of-heart people I have met.  She lives here in Tuscany but is from intriguing Sicily.  She connects with people in the most beautiful and warm way...

Silvia at the outdoor market deciding she loved this cute hat :)

Marco. One of Cristina's horse trainers here, who has silent conversations with horses that resemble a dance...beautiful.

Marco Cavallo, Master horseman.

These wonderful people have wonderful ideas about things to do and see that they feel are special.

 Also, they have introduced to me to other Italian people who are willing to help me make
 my dream come true...

Silvia took me to the seaside near her home in Follonica.

My dream is to connect Americans visitors with Italian people who will help make their visit real...



  Sharing those places that Italians love that are off the beaten track of tourism...

  Uncovering what they feel is beautiful...

A fishing village bursting with fresh seafood and natural warm springs.

Home cooking classes.

 Horse-back riding or hiking finished with a wine-tasting class.

Out-door markets with Italy's amazing Mediterranean fruit.

  A personal demonstration at a authentic Italian bakery.

  Learning how to harvest grapes and hazelnuts.

  Monasteries, beaches and islands you've never heard of because they are not in the guidebooks.

Massa Maritima, a small town in Tuscany shown to me by a new friend.

In summary, the way Marco put it was:  "Let you make close to the Italian people for you."

 Please give me feed-back on these ideas... or any other ideas you may have.  I have found a network or people
who can make your dreams come true here in Italy.

Pop Quiz:   
If you came to Italy, would you want to have everything taken care of?  Apartment, transportation, and delicious food?
Or would you prefer to be given an orientation or sorts, then set free to do your own thing. At your disposal would be me, (an italian speaking American), and my Italian friends to act as a 'safty net' in case you have a need?

I would like to work with small groups of friends, small family groups or
with people who don't know each other, but have a common interest...



My Italian friends want to meet you, they really do.

Wouldn't it be a beautiful thing to unlock barriers and open new doors? 

2 comments:

Carolina said...

Buongiorno Leslie!

I love reading your posts - you make my heart soar! You can see in the photos, and read it in your words, that you have found something special. Maybe a part of your own heart that was lost along the way. It is such an inspiration to see you following your dreams, and to see the glow of your happiness :)

I can't wait to read more!

(I love that photo Patrizio!)

Cheers,
Carolina

Anonymous said...

Caio Leslie,

Your blog makes me feel as though I have been transported back to another time & place. I can feel he warmth of the sun, hear the sounds, & experience the warmth of the Italian people once again.

God is truly using you, as I knew He would. Enjoy!

Vickie